Thank you so much for visiting my WordPress site. I have moved all of my information to hijinxmarketing.com. Please hop on over and check out the new content, new branding and focus!
There were a couple of big news stories this week in marketing. And, no, I am not talking about the gazillion dollar Facebook IPO! While that is interesting to us business and social media geeks, it does not mean much to the average small business. Although there were two big reports dealing with Facebook advertising that could signal a trend for marketers.
The first of these reports deals with a huge American company – General Motors. They decided this week to drop all paid Facebook advertising. Citing the lack of return on their ads, their $10 million in paid advertising may seem like a drop in the bucket when you consider Facebook’s overall revenue, but it may be the start of a trend. The other report, from xx, stated that research has shown that Facebook advertising is rarely effective. Think about it – how often do you click on those ads on the side of your Facebook profile?
In other news:
- This article from 1stwebdesigner.com takes a nice look at how colors effect our reactions and how these lessons should be applied to your website design.
- Integrated marketing was one of my favorite subjects in grad school. I love marketing campaigns that are seamless across many platforms. Business Week posted an article on just this subject this week. Titled ‘If You Knew It, You’d Do It,’ the author explains why integrating your marketing is essential.
- In another Facebook-related area, Sotrender monitored 130 of the UK’s biggest brand’s Facebook pages before and after the introduction of the timeline layout. It concluded that this change actually increased fan engagement.
Lastly, if you have followed my posts and tweets for a while, you know that I love infographics. They are a great way to take content-heavy information and make it easily digestible for the masses. There were several interesting infographics released into the World Wide Web this week. These include:
- Do you use public relations to help you market your small business? This post highlights why you should and provides tips on how to be effective at it.
- A Brazilian women’s fashion retailer is really thinking outside the box with their marketing. The took ‘liking’ a product to a new level by embedding numeric counters on the hangers of their clothing that show how many people like that particular item.
- Are you using SlideShare as a marketing tool? Here are 8 ways to use this site to increase traffic to your site, grab leads and showcase your brand.
- Do you follow everyone who follows you on Twitter? This article lays out the pros and cons of Twitter followers.
What marketing nuggets did you come across this week?